Here are 8 ways to live mindfully.
1. Be aware of your surroundings. Whilst you’re walking, standing or sitting, be aware of the nature, people and architecture that surrounds you.
2. Set aside a time each day to sit still and focus on your breathing. When thoughts arise, try to simply view thoughts as thoughts, rather than judging them as positive or negative.
3. Practice listening more fully to what others are saying, by being present and attentive to their words.
4. Make a point of showing appreciation of others: this will help to keep you in the present experience.
5. Be still and dedicate some time to doing nothing and just ‘being’. As more and more of our time is filled with emails, texts, social media and entertainment, periods of silence and time alone brings respite.
6. Slow down. Try to do just one task at a time. Eat slowly, taking time to appreciate the food you are feeding your body.
7. Don’t sweat the small stuff. When we hold on to anxiety, it makes it more difficult to live within the moment. Allow yourself to feel your feelings, then let them go.
8. Make everyday tasks and chores a meditation. Cooking and cleaning are often seen as drudgery, but actually they are good ways to practice mindfulness.
Learning to live mindfully is surprising simple. It just takes effort to put into practice.
Adapted from material published by Positive News newspaper